Visa Information

All citizens (except Nordic) who come to Iceland for the purpose of study need a residence permit if staying longer than three months. Depending on country of origin, the residence permit needs to be obtained before or after arrival.

EU and EEA Countries

Citizens of the European Union and the European Economic Area, who plan to stay longer than three months in Iceland, need a residence permit. The permit may be obtained after arriving in Iceland for most of the EU and EEA countries.

The residence permit is applied for at the
Icelandic Directorate of Immigration,
Skógarhlíð 6,
105 Reykjavik.
tel. +354 510 5400 

EU and EEA citizens do not need a special work permit, only a residence permit.

Non-EU / EEA Countries

Citizens of countries other than EU and EEA must obtain the visa before entering Iceland. Some nationals outside EU and EEA, are exempted from the obligation to carry a visa on arrival in Iceland for a stay of up to three months in all within the Schengen area. The total stay within the Schengen area must not exceed three months in any period of six months. The residence permit is applied for at the Icelandic Directorate of Immigration.

All citizens must bring a passport which is valid at least three months after the scheduled departure as well as get a health check upon arrival (health check only required for applicants coming from Central and South America, including Mexico, certain non-EEA countries, Asia, or Africa as stated by the Icelandic Directorate of Health).

Nordic Countries

Citizens of Nordic countries that plan to study in Iceland need to register at the Icelandic National Registry upon arrival in Iceland. Nordic citizens do not need work permit.

Visa assistance service

The International Office provides information and assistance with applying for visas. For more information, please contact the International Office at RU.

Need help?

Was the content helpful? Yes No