Resource for individuals. Resource for the business community.
The Reykjavik University was established in 1998 to increase the competitiveness of Icelandic industry. RU has actively participated in the establishment and growth of a number of companies and has served Icelandic and global workplaces through for example, Executive Education, Continuing Education and Distance Education.
The RU Open University was established in 2008 joining all University entities serving the business community and students outside traditional educational tracks.
The Open University serves the business community with a diverse range of courses featuring cutting-edge knowledge from Iceland and abroad. An emphasis is placed on effective and efficient teaching methods.
The Open University is composed of 6 units:
- Continuing Education: Practical courses to enhance professional knowledge and skills
- Executive Education: Effective ways to strengthen operations and cultivate the abilities of managers and employees
- Preliminary Education: Specialized courses to bridge the gap to university studies
- Entrepreneurship Education: Business development workshops for entrepreneurs
- Prime Education: Courses for precocious and studious children
- Distance Education: Selected courses delivered through distance education
More than 400 courses are listed in the course catalogue of the Open University, and more than 200 instructors are involved in teaching – these are academics from RU, instructors from international partner universities, as well as specialists from the Icelandic business community. Units within the Open University collaborate with many of the strongest companies in Iceland, graduate a number of students with professional certifications and diplomas, and bridge the gap to university studies with one of Iceland's oldest preliminary departments. In addition, the Open University works with a number of established universities and study centres, such as MIT, IESE, and FranklinCovey.